The West Sacramento Community Center and all Active Aging will be closed in observance of the following 2013/2014 Holiday's: Veteran's Day: November 11th, Thanksgiving Day November 28th, Day after Thanksgiving: November 29yh.
Winter closure for City Hall and Community Center is December 23- January 1st. We will return on January 2nd.
| || |
1075 West Capitol Ave., West Sacramento, CA 95691
Phone: (916) 617-4620 / Fax: (916) 372-1918
Recreation Supervisor II: Christine Prater
Recreation Manager: Connie Leek
The West Sacramento Community Center is a designated focal point serving the West Sacramento 50+ population. Within the Community Center active adults and seniors have access to fitness and special interest classes, fun & games, and information & referral services. Folks of all ages can enjoy the art and history galleries, order a coffee or tasty treat from La Boutique Cafe Express, and visit with old friends and make new ones in the Margaret McDowell Lounge.
Click image to enlarge
- Low Impact Exercise: River Room: With Richard Simmons Video, Monday-Friday, 9:00 - 10:00 am Location: Multipurpose room - Donation Requested.
- Tai Chi: Bridge Room: Monday, 10:00 - 11:30 am, Location: Bridge Room - Donation Requested.
- Exercise with Rose: Bridge/River Room: Tuesdays, 1:30 - 2:30 pm - Gentle standing aerobics and stretching exercises for seniors. Location: River Room - Donation Requested.
- Line Dancing: Bridge/River Room: Tuesdays, 2:00 - 3:30 pm - Donation Requested.
- **NEW!!** Zumba Gold: Wednesdays and Fridays, 1:30 pm. Fee for class is $3.00 per class or you can purchase a punch card worth 7 classes for only $14.00. 12 Million people, over 125 countries LOVE Zumba! Will you be next? Using zesty Latin music, like Salsa, Merengue and Reggaeton; the exhilarating, easy-to-follow moves; and the invigorating, party-like atmosphere make getting fit with Zumba Gold fun. This class is available to adults 18+. About The Zumba Gold® program – The Zumba Gold® program modifies the basic Zumba® program so it is safe and effective – but still consistently thrilling – for the active older adult as well as those just starting their journey to a fit and healthy lifestyle. Participants of every age and fitness level are welcome to join the Zumba Gold fitness-party at their own pace.
Our fitness classes and programs
are Healthy Heart Activities that provide
a minimum of 30-minutes of moderate
physical activity per session.
|Services and Referrals Available from Consultation Room Information & Assistance: |
Consultation Room - In one on one counseling sessions, staff provides information on resources in the community and social services for seniors. Monday-Friday 9:00 am-2:00 pm.
Experience Works is a Federal Program designed to help people over 55 find employment and training. Office hours for Experience Works are from 9:00 am -12:00 pm every Tuesday morning.
Legal Clinic supported by Legal Services of Northern California from 9:00 am to 11:00 am the 2nd and 3rd Thursday of each month. Make an appointment to receive assistance with housing, employment, health benefits, social security, probate, and family law.
HI CAP Assistance (Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program of Northern CA) Please call (916) 375-3765 to schedule an appointment.
Veteran's Services: Referrals only.
|Fun & Games |
Bunko Bonanza River Room - The regular Bunko Game meets at 12:30 pm on the 2nd and 4th Thursday. Space is limited and the group fills fast. Call (916) 617-4620 for more information about how to get involved with Bunko. Interested players can ask to be placed on the sub list.
Bingo: River Room - Join us for Bingo on Thursdays from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Fun, and the possibility for a lucky day. Cost to participate is $2.00. Cards are 10 cents each.
|Arts & Crafts |
Ceramics - Off Site Location: River Bend Senior Manor 664 Cummins Way: Every Monday from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm - Donation Requested
Knitting and Crocheting - Bridge Room: Every Wednesday from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm - Donation Requested
Card Making & Scrapbooking - River Room: Every Friday from 9:00 am to 11:00 am . Paper, scissors and glue are provided. Cost of each class is $2.00.
|Trips & Events |
Please call (916) 617-4620 for details. Advance registration is required for trips, events and activities. Space is limited.
Dress up and get a treat!
On Wednesday, October 31st if you come to the front desk, dressed in a costume and ask nicely “trick or treat” you may receive a fun treat! Treats are limited so come early!
to New York City to find his birth father. Light refreshments will be provided.
Support for Seniors
The West Sacramento Active Aging is proud to collaborate with many support services for seniors. We recognize that with aging comes increased vulnerability due to loneliness, diminishing mental and physical capabilities, willingness to trust others, and assets accumulated over a lifetime of work. These services include:
- The Yolo County District Attorney's Elder Protection Unit is dedicated to protecting seniors from criminals who exploit their trust, steal their resources, neglect or physically abuse them. To report suspected cases of Elder Abuse contact the police at (916) 617-4900 or Yolo County Adult Protective Services at (916) 375-6239.
- Yolo County Older Adult Services support groups and peer counseling. The New Choices group which seeks to support seniors facing the trial of aging, loss of loved ones and other life challenges. Call (530) 757-5534 for more information.
|Elderly Nutrition Program |
The Elderly Nutrition Program Prime Time Cafe, Yolo County and Meals on Wheels serves West Sacramento in the multipurpose room at Riverbend Manor located at 664 Cummins Way in West Sacramento Monday throught Friday.
For more information about the Elderly Nutrition Program Yolo Country call (530) 662-7035 or visit http://elderlynutrition.org
- Social Dining at Riverbend Manor requires a reservation of a meal 24 hours in advance. Please call Anthony at: (916) 373-5805. A $3.00 donation is requested from seniors over 60 years of age. A $7.00 donation is request for non-seniors.
- Meals on Wheels comes to your home courtesy of the volunteer drivers. To apply for this program, the Elderly Nutrition Program in Woodland should be contacted (530) 662-7035.
Pending a study of various senior transportation alternatives available in West Sacramento, the Parks & Recreation Shuttle Shopping and the Community Center Shuttles will be discontinued as of August 29th, 2011. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. The West Sacramento Community Center does offer vouchers to offset the cost for riders who utilize Yolo Bus Special. click here for a flyer containing a voucher informational sheet, compliments of BBCAN. Please see Community Center staff for more information. Also, The Yolo County Transportation District provides local and regional public transit service in West Sacramento. The Transit Center is located directly on the Community Center property for convenient access to bus patrons. The Sacramento Regional Transit District also provides a public transit connection between West Sacramento and Downtown Sacramento. For your convenience, we have provided contact information to organizations that may be able to assist you with your transportation needs below. Please contact each organization directly to get the most up to date information.
Yolo Bus Special Vouchers:
- California Co-op Cab
- Phone: (916) 373-7445 (information) OR (916) 444-7777 (Cab Dispatch)
- or click here for Co-op web site: www.californiacoopcab.org
- Veterans Medical Transport
- Phone:(530) 406-4850
- or click here for Veterans web site: www.yolocounty.org
- United Christian Center (Care-A-Van):
- Phone: (916) 372-0200
- Yolo Bus:
- Phone: (530) 661-0816
- or click here for Yolo Bus web site: www.yolobus.com
- Yolo Bus Special (Paratransit)
- Phone: (530) 666-2877 OR (916) 371-2877
- or click here for Yolo Bus web site: www.yolobus.com
Yolo Adult Day Health Center (YADHC) has implemented a new program that will provide Yolo Special bus tickets to eligible seniors. Funded by Area 4 Agency on Aging (A4AA), it is designed to encourage independent community mobility for disabled seniors who need transportation assistance but may find the cost prohibitive. The transportation program will provide disabled seniors with vouchers to be used as tickets for Yolobus Special. The vouchers may be used for medical appointments, shopping or a variety of other purposes. They can be redeemed within cities or be used between cities in Yolo County (including some locations in Sacramento for medical appointments). To be eligible, a person must be at least 60 years of age and be certified by a health care professional as needing door-to-door assistance. For more information contact Christine Prater at (916) 617-4620 or firstname.lastname@example.org (or) Dawn Myers Purkey, Yolo Adult Day Health Center at 530-666-8828. Click here for an information flyer regarding Yolo Bus Special vouchers, compliments of BBCAN!
|Volunteering Would you like to help: |
Please contact Anthony with ENP at (916) 373-5805 if you are interested. Please leave a message with your contact information.
- Deliver meals to seniors in the West Sacramento community? Meals on Wheels is seeking drivers. Shifts vary from 1 to 5 days a week for a fraction of your time! Only 1.25 hours a day to help those in need.
- Greet, take reservations and host the front sign-in area for the Elderly Nutrition Program?
- ENP is always looking for great volunteers to assist them. Please click on the link here for more information.
Are you an Instructor looking for a new place to teach your craft?
The new Community Center will have a strong focus on Leisure Interest Classes such as painting, guitar, Tai Chi, and even Babysitting. If you are interested in becoming a Independent Instructor please review the Independent Instructor Handbook and fill out and return the course proposal form to the Community Center at 1075 West Capitol Avenue.
If you have any further questions please contact us at 916-617-4620.
Active Aging Newsletter
Active Aging Services mails a tri-monthly, informational newsletter containing details about programs, services and upcoming events. For a copy of the current newsletter please call our office @ (916) 617-4620.
If you would like to be added to our mailing list, please contact the West Sacramento Community Center @ (916) 617-4620. You can also email requests to receive the Aging Newsletter or request an email of the newsletter sent to your email address in a pdf format. Please email your newsletter request along with your name and address to email@example.com.