October Programs at Arthur F. Turner Community Library
All are welcome to enjoy these programs at the Library located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento.
- Oct 1-October 15: Latinx Heritage Month. Learn about the histories, cultures and contributions of Americans whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America with our bibliography and display.
- October 3: Local Author Series Presents: Cathy Arellano, 6:00 p.m. Please join us during Latinx Heritage Month for a special reading and talk with local author Cathy Arellano, self-described as “just another Mexican lesbian writer from San Francisco’s Mission District.” Arellano’s I Love My Women, Sometimes They Love Me was released in Fall 2017 from Kórima Press. She has won numerous awards for her work, including the 2017 Golden Crown Literary Society’s Debut Author Award for Salvation on Mission Street, a family memoir in poems and stories set in San Francisco. Currently, Arellano teaches in the English Department at American River College where she is teaching the college’s first Latinx Literature course.
- October 6: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Book Sale, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Purchase gently used books and support the library. $0.50 paperbacks and $1.00 hardbacks. Contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465 ext. 4 or email email@example.com for more information.
- October 7: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Book Sale, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Purchase gently used books and support the library. Bargain Sunday - $4.00 per bag. Contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465 ext. 4 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- October 7 - 13: Teen Read Week. Check the library for activities and displays related to this year’s theme, “It’s Written in the Stars…READ.”
- October 8: Love on a Leash, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
- October 8: Yolo Shorts Workshop, 5:00 p.m. Explore new technology at our first GoPro Movie Weekly Workshop and Festival, open to all library card holders. Sign up to borrow one of our GoPro Cameras to shoot and edit your very own short! Camera check outs will be available daily, from September 21 through October 12.
- October 10 & 24: Teen Club, 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program focused on developing leadership skills through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided. Teen Room.
- October 11 & 25: All Things String, 6:00 p.m. This crafting circle is for anyone who knits, crochets, embroiders, or enjoys fiber art. Bring a project or start something new. All are welcome.
- October 13: Ghost Hunting, 6:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to join us for a special after-hours program with the Sacramento Paranormal Intuitive Research Investigation Team (S.P.I.R.I.T.). We’ll discuss paranormal safety, watch a demonstration of ghost-hunting equipment, and search the library for any ghost anomalies. Snacks provided while supplies last. Please arrive promptly at 6:00 p.m.
- October 14: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie rated G or PG shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
- October 15: Yolo County Library open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. due to an all staff meeting.
- October 17: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another, and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
- October 17: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
- October 18: Aguas Frescas, 5:30 p.m. Come and drink some aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker project. October’s project is paper flowers. Materials will be provided.
- October 20: WWI Series Part 4: Lest We Forget: The Road to Peace, 1:00 p.m. Come learn the story of, and commemorate, all those from the West Sacramento area who served, both at home and abroad, in the “War to End All Wars.”
- October 21: Sunday Movie Matinee for Adults, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a PG-13 or rated R movie shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! For ages 18+ only. Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
- October 22: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
- October 26: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong – Part XXXIII, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. In part XXXIII, we will continue to learn the twelve Yijin Jing qigong exercises. Two new movements will be taught in each session. These movements are recognized as a set of exercises for healing and well-being in Chinese medicine. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats and chairs will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
- October 27: Pumpkin Decorating, 1:00 p.m. Children of all ages and their parents/caregivers are invited to come decorate their very own pumpkin. Pumpkins and decorating materials provided while supplies last.
- October 27: Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego Breakout Room, 6:00 p.m. Hurry, the world is in grave danger! You and your group will be challenged to find your way through puzzles, riddles, and more to find Carmen and help save the world. See if you have what it takes to escape in less than sixty minutes. For ages 18 and over.
- October 28 to November 3: Halloween Costume Contest. Join us in celebrating our 7th anniversary on Facebook by participating in this annual event. Post your own costume picture on the Yolo County Library Facebook page at www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org or tag it #yolocountylibrary on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. You may also visit a Yolo County Library branch wearing your costume and ask a staff member to take a picture of you. Four winners will be selected to win a prize and recognition at their local library branch. Winners will be selected by November 10. Remember to “like” the Yolo County Library on Facebook to see the final winners!
- October 28: Teen Anime Afternoon, 2:00 p.m. Teens (ages 12-18) are invited to watch the anime of their choosing at the library. Free popcorn while supplies last.
- October 31: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community through supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email: email@example.com for more information.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m.
- Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. FREE after school program for children in grades 3-8 to receive homework help. Preregistration is required at the Information Desk. Questions? Please call the Innovation Coordinator at (916) 375-6468.
- Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
- Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m.
- English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m.
- Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.
For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.