March Programs at Arthur F. Turner Community Library
March is Women’s History Month! The theme for 2019 is “Visionary Women: Champions of Peace & Nonviolence.” Join the Library in honoring women who have led efforts to end war, violence, and injustice and pioneered the use of nonviolence to change society. Be sure to check out the Women’s History book display and bibliography.
• March 1: Adulting 101, 4:30 p.m. Finally, you’ve made it (or nearly made it) to adulthood. There’s no one to tell you to do your homework, clean your room, what time to be home, or eat more vegetables. Now what? Young adults are invited to join us every month to learn the basics of becoming a grown up. Program topics will change every month. This March we will learn all about Fake News. For more information, please contact Vaile Fujikawa at (916) 375-6468.
• March 3: Sunday Movie Matinee for Adults, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a PG-13 or rated R movie shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! For ages 18+ only. Brought to you through the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
• March 8: Maker Kids, 3:30 p.m. Maker Kids has come to the Arthur F. Turner Community Library! Please join us for a monthly hands-on program exploring science, technology, engineering, art, and math at the library. Every month explore a new activity examining the fascinating world around us. Best for ages 6-12. Young children will need the assistance of their parent/caregiver.
• March 10: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie rated G or PG shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
• March 11: Love on a Leash, 3:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• March 13 & 27: Teen Club (Teen room), 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program focused on developing leadership skills through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided. Teen Room.
• March 18: Women’s History Month Crafts, 4:00 p.m. Please join us for our March Family Program. This month we will be celebrating Women’s History Month, and the 2019 theme “Visionary Women: Champions of Peace & Nonviolence,” with an engaging and educational family program. Materials will be provided.
• March 20: Computer 104 Class, 9:00 a.m. Adults are invited to register for this free basic computer class. This session offers participants a basic introduction to searching the internet. We will learn about search engines, look at different sites for jobs, apartment rentals, travel bookings, and have time to practice. Computers will be provided. Registration is required as space is limited.
• March 20: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another, and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
• March 20: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kiddish. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• March 22: Lego Block Party!, 3:30 p.m. Please join us for our monthly block party. Have fun building with Legos in the Community Room. In this self-directed program youth are invited to build with Legos at the Library. Big and small blocks will be provided. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• March 25: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• March 27: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. WSFOL is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community supporting library programs and services. WSFOL is always recruiting for new friends. Please contact the WSFOL for more information by calling (916) 375-6465, extension 4 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The WSFOL meets the last Wednesday of the month.
• March 28: Aguas Frescas: Plant Night, 6:00 p.m. Come and drink aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker project. This month’s project is plant night. Materials provided.
• March 29: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong – Part XXXVIII, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
• March 2 through April 13: In-N-Out Burger’s “Cover to Cover” Reading Program. Children (ages 4-12) are eligible to participate in this fun reading challenge and receive a free In-N-Out coupon. For additional details visit the library or call (916) 375-6465.
• March 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Saturday), 9:00 a.m. Get help in preparing your 2018 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided every Saturday through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group.
• March 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Sunday), 1:30 p.m. Get help in preparing your 2018 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided every Sunday through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 1-3.
• Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. FREE afterschool program for children in grades 3-8 to receive homework help. Pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. Questions? Please call the Innovation Coordinator at (916) 375-6468.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. Ages 0-5.
• Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 3-5.
• Buddy Reading: Wednesdays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading and build confidence with an older “buddy.” Each child will be paired up with a high school student from the River City High School Interact Club for a 30-minute reading session. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-12 months.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-5.
For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, please contact library staff at (916) 375-6465.