June Programs at Arthur F. Turner Library
Come to the following special programs held during the month of June at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento:
- June 2: Movie Matinee for Adults, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a movie (PG-13 or R) and free popcorn! For ages 18 and over. Brought to you through the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. For movie title call: (916) 375-6465.
- June 5: Teen Club, 4:30 p.m. Teens are invited to attend the monthly meeting with fun activities and future event planning at the library! For ages 12-18.
- June 6: I SEE YOU Art Show, 4:00 p.m. Join us in celebrating the various works of art that those experiencing homelessness created through the I SEE YOU project, led by Teaching Artist, Melissa Uroff, in partnership with YoloArts and Yolo County Health and Human Services Agency. Art will be available for purchase with all proceeds going directly to the artist. For more information visit yoloarts.org or contact Jenna Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 9: Family Movie: 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie (G or PG) and free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. For movie title call: (916) 375-6465.
- June 14: Lotería, 3:00 p.m. Families are invited to join us for an afternoon playing Lotería, the traditional Mexican lottery game, and win prizes!
- June 15: Simple Estate Law, 2:00 p.m. Join us for the second of three workshops presented by Legal Services of Northern California and the Yolo County Law Library. This month’s workshop will cover Simple Estate Law.
- June 19: What’s Happening Seniors? 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another, and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
- June 19: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come for a lively book discussion on this month’s reading selection, Away by Amy Bloom. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
- June 20: Aguas Frescas, 6:00 p.m. Come and drink aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while expressing your creativity with an arts and crafts project. Materials provided. Brought to you by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library.
- June 21: Chess Club, 3:00 p.m. Love to play chess or want to learn how? Join us for our monthly Chess Club. All ages and skill levels welcome.
- June 22 & 23: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Book Sale. Public hours are Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Stock up on gently used books, magazines, comics, DVDs, and more. All proceeds benefit library programs and collections. Contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email email@example.com.
- June 24: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children are invited to read to a therapy dog. Animals are great reading companions because they are patient and do not judge. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child. For ages 6-12.
- June 24, 25 & 27: 916 Ink Teen Writing Workshop, 3:00 p.m. Teens are invited to join us for a series of creative writing workshops by 916 Ink, Sacramento’s arts-based creative writing nonprofit that provides workshops transforming youth into confident writers and published authors. These workshops help increase literacy skills, improve vocabulary, teach empathy, positively impact social and emotional learning, and expand communication skills. Additional workshops on July 1, 2, and 5. For ages 13-18. Space is limited. To register, visit the Information Desk or call (916) 375-6465.
- June 26: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Contact the WSFOL directly at: (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 28: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong – Part XLI, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats will be provided. New participants welcome.
- June is Pride Month! Let’s recognize, celebrate, and support the LGBTQIA+ community, history, and culture. This year’s Pride Month commemorates the 50th anniversary of the 1969 Stonewall Riots in New York as well as the history of gay rights and related civil rights movements. Check out our book display, bibliography, bookmarks, and buttons!
- Summer Reading Program 2019: It’s Showtime at Your Library! Sign up and get a free book! Choose your summer challenge: read 10 books, read for 10 hours, or read on 10 different days. There will be activities, events, and prizes all summer long with a final Grand Prize drawing. Program runs through August 31.
- Read Off Your Fines for Adults! Adults who complete the Summer Reading Program may choose to have up to $10.00 in late fees waived from their library account as their prize. Program runs through August 31.
- I SEE YOU Arts Program: Mondays at 12:00 p.m. Materials and lunch provided. Adults only. Last days are June 3 and 10 with a culminating art show on June 6.
- Lunch at the Library: Monday through Friday at 12:30 p.m. From June 17 through August 9 come for free summer meals at the library. For ages 0-18. Lunch will be served from 12:30 p.m.-1:15 p.m. with fun educational activities to follow. Meals provided by United Way.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 1-3.
- Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. Ages 0-5.
- Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 3-5.
- Yolo County Mental Health First Responders: Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. Case Managers from Yolo County First Responders’ Mental Health Urgent Care will be available at the library. Get information and assistance connecting to community resources such as mental health services, housing and food resources, and crisis resources.
- English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-12 months.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-5.
For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit www.yolocountylibrary.org. Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.