September Programs at Arthur F. Turner Library
Summer is passing and it’s back to the books! Make a fresh start with programs held during the month of September at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento.
- September 1: Movie Matinee for Adults, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a movie (PG-13 or R) and free popcorn! For movie title call: (916) 375-6465. For ages 18 and over.
- September 2: All Yolo County Library branches will be closed in observance of Labor Day.
- September 4: Teen Club, 4:30 p.m. Teens are invited to join us for our monthly meeting with fun activities and future event planning for teens at the library! For ages 12-18.
- September 8: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie (G or PG) and free popcorn! For movie title call: (916) 375-6465.
- September 13: Lego Block Party, 3:30 p.m. Come build with Legos! We provide the blocks; you do the rest. Small children must be supervised by a responsible adult. For ages 6-12.
- September 16: Maker Kids, 3:30 p.m. Come for a monthly hands-on program exploring science, technology, engineering, art, and math at the library! Young children will need adult assistance. For ages 6-12.
- September 15 to October 15: Latinx Heritage Month. Learn about the histories, cultures and contributions of Americans whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America with our bibliography and display.
- September 18: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another, and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
- September 18: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Join us for our monthly evening book club. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s book selection is Sourdough by Robin Sloane. Please contact Cindy at 916-731-5504 for more information.
- September 19: Aguas Frescas, 6:00 p.m. Adults are invited to enjoy Aguas Frescas fruit juice and learn how to make bath bombs. Materials provided.
- September 20: Chess Club, 3:00 p.m. Love to play chess or want to learn how? Join us for our monthly Chess Club. All ages and skill levels welcome.
- September 21: Teen Writing Club, 3:00 p.m. Want to improve your writing skills? Have a story to tell? Join us for a short lesson and write the time away. For ages 13-18.
- September 22-28: Banned Books Week. Censorship leaves us in the dark. Keep the light on! Celebrate free expression by reading one of the banned or challenged books in our display.
- September 23: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children are invited to read to a therapy dog. Animals are great reading companions because they are patient and do not judge. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child. For ages 6-12.
- September 25: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at: (916) 375-6465, extension 4, email email@example.com, or visit www.wsfol.org.
- September 27: Adulting 101, 3:30 p.m. Are you ready for life after high school? Join our Adulting 101 series to learn essential skills for navigating the world of adulthood. For ages 13-18.
- September 27: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats will be provided. New participants welcome.
- September is Literacy and Library Card Sign-Up Month. Explore new worlds by signing up for a card and checking out all we have to offer, including books, DVDs, special programs and much more!
- Homework Center Returns: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30 p.m. Free after-school program to get help with homework and enjoy other fun, educational activities. After-school snack provided. Register at the Information Desk. For grades 2-8.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 1-3.
- Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.Ages 0-5.
- Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 3-5.
- Yolo County Mental Health First Responders: Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. Case Managers from Yolo County First Responders’ Mental Health Urgent Care are available at the library! Get information and assistance connecting to mental health services, housing, food, and crisis resources.
- English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-12 months.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-5.
For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org. Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.