December Programs at Arthur F. Turner Library
- December is Kindness Month. Yolo County Library and Resilient Yolo invite you to “be the one” this December by extending an act of kindness every day this month toward a friend, family member, your community, the environment, or yourself. A person's life can change for the better with one positive connection with another person. Check out our kindness calendar, display and bibliography for inspiration.
- December 2: Movie Matinee for Adults, 1:00 p.m. Join us for a movie (PG-13 or R) and free popcorn! For movie title, call (916) 375-6465. For ages 18 and over.
- December 4: Teen Club, 4:30 p.m. Have ideas about how to make the library better? Join our Teen Club! Make new friends, complete activities, and help us plan events and programs. For ages 12-18.
- December 6: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats will be provided. New participants welcome.
- December 8: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie (G or PG) and free popcorn! For movie title call: (916) 375-6465.
- December 13: Lego Block Party, 3:30 p.m. Come build with Legos! We provide the blocks; you do the rest. Small children must be supervised by a responsible adult. For ages 6-12.
- December 14: Teen Writing Club, 3:00 p.m. Want to improve your writing skills? Have a story to tell? Join us for a short lesson and write the time away. For ages 13-18.
- December 16: Maker Kids, 3:30 p.m. A monthly hands-on program exploring science, technology, engineering, art, and math. Small children will need the assistance of a responsible adult. For ages 6-12.
- December 18: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another, and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
- December 18: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Join us for our monthly evening book club. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s discussion is “All Things Jan Karon.” Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
- December 19: Aguas Frescas: Salsa Night!, 6:00 p.m. Join us for an evening of salsa dance lessons and refreshing aguas frescas.
- December 21: Winter Story & Craft Time, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a special winter-themed storytime with a craft.
- December 23: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children are invited to read to a therapy dog. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child. For ages 6-12.
The following ongoing programs continue in December:
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 1-3. Cancelled December 24 & 31.
- Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.Ages 0-5. Cancelled December 24 & 31.
- Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 3-5. Cancelled December 25.
- English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m. Cancelled December 25.
- Buddy Reading: Wednesdays at 4:30 p.m. Read out loud with a high school buddy. Ages 6-12. Cancelled December 25.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-12 months. Cancelled December 26.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-5. Cancelled December 28.
NOTICES: On December 24 and 31 the Arthur F. Turner Community Library will be closed at 6:00 p.m. All Yolo County Library branches will be closed on December 25 for Christmas Day and January 1 for New Year’s Day.
Food for Fines & Pay It Forward: The Yolo County Library is offering residents and library card holders two opportunities to feed and support their communities this holiday season with ‘Food for Fines’ and ‘Pay It Forward.’
The Library’s annual “Food for Fines” program allows library card holders to clear $1 in overdue fines for each nonperishable food item donated at the circulation desk of any Yolo County Library location. The program runs through December 31 and there is no limit to the number of donations or reduction in fines cardholders can receive. All are welcome to donate even if they do not have any overdue fines.
The Library’s ‘Pay It Forward’ program allows customers to donate money to help library card holders pay off their overdue fines. Donors will write a message on a star-shaped note that will be posted on a board behind the circulation desk for cardholders to redeem and lower their fines.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org. Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.