February Programs at Turner Library
- February is Black History Month! 2020 marks the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment and the women’s suffrage movement and the 150th anniversary of the 15th Amendment and the right of black men to vote. This year’s theme, “African Americans and the Vote,” recognizes the ongoing struggle of voting for black men and women. Check out displays and pick up a special bookmark.
- February 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Saturdays), 12:30 p.m. Get help preparing your 2019 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group.
- February 3: Movie Matinee for Adults, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a movie (PG-13 or R) and free popcorn! For movie title, call (916) 375-6465. For ages 18 and over.
- February 5: Teen Club, 4:30 p.m. Have ideas about how to make the library better? Join our Teen Club! Make new friends, do activities, and help us plan events and programs. For ages 12-18.
- February 8: Teen Writing Club, 3:00 p.m. Want to improve your writing skills? Have a story to tell? Join us for a short lesson and write the time away. For ages 13-18.
- February 9, 16 & 23: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Sunday), 1:00 p.m. Get help in preparing your 2019 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group.
- February 9: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie (G or PG) and free popcorn! For movie title call: (916) 375-6465.
- February 12: Maker Kids: Valentine Card Making, 2:30 p.m. Make cards for all the special people in your life! Materials provided. All ages welcome; best for ages 6-12.
- February 14: Lego Block Party, 3:30 p.m. Come build with Legos! We provide the blocks; you do the rest. Small children must be supervised by a responsible adult. For ages 6-12.
- February 17: Library closed in observance of Presidents’ Day.
- February 19: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another, and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
- February 19: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Join us for our monthly evening book club. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s selection is The Painted Drum by Louise Erdich. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
- February 20: Aguas Frescas, 6:00 p.m. Join us for refreshing aguas frescas and a free craft.
- February 24: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children are invited to read to a therapy dog. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child. For ages 6-12.
- February 25: Catch-A-Beat, 5:00 p.m. Enjoy music, dance, and stories with guest performer Tina Rogers! All ages welcome; best for ages 6-12.
- February 26: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at: (916) 375-6465, extension 4, email email@example.com, or visit www.wsfol.org.
- February 28: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats will be provided. New participants welcome.
The following ongoing programs continue in February:
- Read Aloud: Practice reading aloud with Ms. Shellie. Mondays at 4:15 p.m. Ages 6-12.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 1-3.
- Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. Ages 0-5.
- Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 3-5.
- English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
- Buddy Reading: Wednesdays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading aloud with a high-school buddy. Ages 6-12.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-12 months.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-5.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.