Washington District Sustainable Community Infrastructure Project Update
Be alert for continuous construction and possible traffic impacts.
West Capitol Avenue Closure
- West Capitol Avenue continues to be closed between Grand Street and 5th Street for the reconstruction and reconfiguration of West Capitol Avenue, parking lot excavation and the addition of 7th Street to Tower Bridge Gateway.
- Waterline installation on E Street will begin the week of April 27th and continue through May 10th.
Schedule for Next Two Weeks
- Demolition and grading will continue through the end of April.
- Installation of concrete sidewalk, curb and gutters.
- Signal pole and controller foundations to be installed the week of April 27th.
- Installation of a waterline on E Street. This work will require road closures with access to local traffic.
- Installation of irrigation sleeves on E Street.
- Installation of street light electrical system on E Street.
- Installation of sewer line on G Street will resume from 6th street and working eastward and is anticipated to be complete by mid-June.
The Grand Gateway / Washington District Infrastructure Project will add a new segment of 7th Street connecting West Capitol Avenue to Tower Bridge Gateway and a new traffic signal at the Tower Bridge Gateway – 7th Street intersection. It will also create a Grand Gateway entrance to the City core where the Bridge District, Washington District and Downtown converge. In addition, the project will add and replace over 10,000 lineal feet of storm drain, water and sewer mains to facilitate development in the historic Washington District. Multi-modal transportation improvements will incorporate way-finding and public art to the Riverfront and will better accommodate transit, bicycles, pedestrians and automobiles.