July Programs at Arthur F. Turner Library
This July, stop by the Arthur F. Turner Community Library to participate in a variety of special programs for kids and adults. All are welcome at the library, which is located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento.
Please note: On July 16, all Yolo County Library branches will only be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. due to a staff meeting.
• July 7: Family Game Show, 2:00 p.m. Ever wanted to be on a game show? Now is your chance! Families will be able to battle against each other in our very own family game show.
• July 8: Life-Sized Board Games, 2:00 p.m. Teens (12-18) are invited to play some life-sized board games. Come show us your skills! Prizes for winners.
• July 9: Love on a Leash, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Love on a Leash® (LOAL) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to providing an avenue for volunteer pet therapy teams to engage in meaningful and productive animal assisted therapy. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits, a participant may choose a free book.
• July 9 & 23: YCCA & WIOA, 2:00 p.m. Yolo County Children’s Alliance and the Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act (WIOA) are currently looking for Yolo County Residents (ages 16-24) who are not currently enrolled in school (participants with an adult education are welcome) and who are experiencing barriers to employment. Low-income, foster youth, homeless, disabled, pregnant or parenting, high-school drop-outs, and those with experience in the justice system are encouraged to attend. Get the support you need to work towards your educational and employment goals!
• July 9 -13: Barrio Writers, 5:00 p.m. Teens are invited to participate in a week-long writing workshop. The program will take place at three locations. Materials, transportation and light dinner provided. Pre-registration is required. Please email Vaile Fujikawa at email@example.com for more information.
• July 11: Paint Your World, 5:30 p.m. Come join us to paint your world! Use printouts or cutouts of appealing scenes to paint the world around you while enjoying a refreshing cup of aguas frescas (fresh fruit juice).
• July 12 & 26: All Things String, 6:00 p.m. This crafting circle is for anyone who knits, crochets, embroiders, or enjoys fiber art. Bring a project or start something new.
• July 15: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie rated G or PG shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
• July 16: All Yolo County Library branches will only be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. due to an all staff meeting.
• July 18: "What’s Happening, Seniors?", 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
• July 18: Teen Club (Teen Room), 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program at the library focused on developing leadership skills through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided. (Only one meeting this month).
• July 18: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be The Outside Boy by Jeanine Cummins. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• July 21: Local Author Series: Hoang Chi Truong, 2:00 p.m. Please join us for a presentation by local author Hoang Chi Truong as she discusses her book Tigerfish. Tigerfish chronicles the author’s childhood in Vietnam and her coming-of-age story as she and her family grapple with the loss of their national identity and the challenges of acculturation as refugees in America. Light snacks will be provided.
• July 22: Teen Anime Afternoon, 2:00 p.m. Teens (ages 12-18) are invited to watch the anime of their choosing at the library. Free popcorn while supplies last.
• July 23: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. You will meet up to four very special dogs and their handlers. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits, a participant may choose a free book.
• July 25: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community through supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• July 27: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qi Gong Part XXXI, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. In part XXXI, we will continue to learn the twelve Yijin Jing qi gong exercises. Two new movements will be taught in each session. These movements are recognized as a set of exercises for healing and well-being in Chinese medicine. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats and chairs will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
• July 28: Van Go!, 2:00 p.m. The Sacramento Children's Museum presents Air & Flight. In this special summer reading program, children and families will learn about air and wind. Exhibits and activity stations include the Blast-Off mobile wind tunnel and a windsock-making activity.
• July 30: Yolo Reads Tutor Orientation, 6:00 p.m. Become a tutor for Yolo Reads. It requires no experience, the hours are flexible and Yolo Reads provides all necessary training and materials. For those interested, our next orientation will be held at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, July 30th from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Lunch at the Library: Monday through Friday at 12:00 p.m., through August 10th. Join us for free summer meals at the library (ages 0-18). Lunch will be served from 12:00 a.m.to 1:00 p.m. with fun educational activities to follow.
• Summer Reading Program 2018: Reading Takes You Everywhere: May 20 - August 18: Sign up and get a free book! Choose your summer challenge: read 10 books, read for 10 hours, or read for 10 days. There will be activities, events, and prizes all summer long.
• Read Off Your Fines: May 20 - August 18: The Read Off Your Fines campaign will be held in conjunction with the Summer Reading Program. Young adults and children (ages 17 and under) will be able to deduct $1.00 from their fines for every 15 minutes spent reading a book of their choice in the library and also use those minutes toward earning incentives in the Summer Reading Program.
• Yolo Reads supports literacy in Yolo County communities by providing free tutoring to English-speaking adult learners who want to improve their reading, writing, spelling, and grammar skills. Learners receive one-on-one support from volunteer tutors, free materials, free computer use, and access to the Yolo County Library collections. For more information, contact us at (530) 666-8019 or at email@example.com.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, please call library staff at (916) 375-6465. You can also connect with the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org or the Yolo County Library on Facebook.