COVID-19 Resources and FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

City of West Sacramento Economic Development and Housing Contacts

For targeted local assistance and referrals:

Diane Richards: or call 916.617.4538

Elijah Ortega: or call 916.617.4535

Denice Domke: West Sacramento Chamber of Commerce or call 916.371.7042. 

What financial assistance and programs are available for small businesses?

The federal CARES Act provides funding to the Small Business Administration (SBA) to assist businesses affected by the pandemic.  These include Economic Injury Disaster Loans and advances, and the Paycheck Protection Program. Loans are available to help businesses retain employees, pay rent, utilities and other operating expenses.  Visit the SBA or Small Business Development Center for more more information.

SBA has resumed accepting PPP applications.

Capital Region SBDC is offering free business planning and capital assistance to all West Sacramento Businesses, contacts available:

If you currently have an EIDL loan application # , please call 1-800-659-2955 or email If you currently have a PPP loan, please contact the lender directly. 

Visit the US Treasury website for the most current information.

For additional support, please contact any of the resource partners below as they have business counselors ready to serve the small business community by assisting them at no extra cost if needed.

Small Business Development Center : 1-833-275-7232


Women's Business Center (All are welcome) :

Veterans Business Outreach Center :

New Business Triage Hotline Available 

A toll-free number, 833.391.1919, has been launched by the Sacramento Asian Chamber and Sacramento Metro Chamber to help businesses access capital and human resources. Assistance is offered in English, Mandarin, Vietnamese, and Spanish.  Visit the Metro Chamber Rapid Response Hub or call the Rapid Response Hotline 833.391.1919 to speak to a business counselor between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

What federal and state programs are available to help my business?

Many California departments and federal CARES Act implemented economic assistance programs for businesses affected by COVID-19.  These include economic injury disaster loans, payroll and sales tax deferrals and much more.  The  California I-Bank Small Business Finance Center offers technical and capital assistance.  California is providing broad assistance to small businesses and employers impacted by COVID-19.  

On April 2nd, Governor Newsom announced support for California’s small businesses through the small business assistance described below and a new portal to connect Californians to job opportunities called

U.S. Small Business Administration offers the following business stimulus programs:

The Capital Regional Small Business Development Center offers free business counseling to access financial resources.  Visit the the helpful links below. Small Business Development Center Covid-19 Survival Guide and

The Greater Sacramento Economic Council has launched an Online Business Planning Tool called SizeUp to help small businesses get access to expert business advice during the crisis.   California COVID Response

Is my business allowed to remain open?

Yolo County issued a countywide Public Health Order directing residents to shelter in place through May 1, 2020. The order limits activity, travel and business functions to only the most essential needs. To review essential and non-essential businesses, refer to or call Yolo 2-1-1  Section 10 of the Governor's Order identifies Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers:

What will happen if a “non-essential business” stays open?  

Businesses not designated “essential” may maintain Minimum Basic Operations while practicing social distancing to maintain inventory, security, payroll and employee benefits and activities that allow employees to work remotely. Non essential businesses are allowed to make deliveries.  Businesses are required to comply with the Public Health Order and violations may result in penalties. 

How can I protect my store or business property during this health emergency?

With the current Yolo County health order leaving some non-essential businesses and properties unattended, it is important you know how to protect them during this challenging time. The City of West Sacramento Police Department is running at full staff and patrol officers are still responding to crimes in progress and alarm activation calls. However, there are still steps you can take as a property or store owner to help provide security.

  • Make unscheduled visits to your property just to check on security.
  • When you leave the location, make sure all doors and windows are locked.
  • If you have an alarm, make sure that it is functioning and armed when leaving.
  • If you have a video system, make sure that it is functioning and activated when leaving.
  • If you do not have an alarm and or video system, consider installing one.
  • Report suspicious activity to the police department.
  • Turn on exterior lighting or connect it to a motion sensor or photocell.
  • Prune bushes so that it allows police or other security personnel to easily monitor for broken windows or unusual activity.

To contact Police Department Non-Emergency Dispatch call 916.372.3375 or the Crime Tip Hotline 916. 617.4747. Call 911 for emergencies and crimes in progress.   

What resources are available if I need to reduce my workforce or close?  

Numerous local, state and federal Stimulus programs are available to retain and re-hire employees that have been laid off.  California's Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) and the California Labor and Workforce Development Agency resources are linked below.  These include State Disability Insurance, Unemployment Insurance, Paid Family Leave, Paid Sick Leave, workplace health and other programs. Yolo County offers employers and workers rapid response layoff aversion services, training and re-hiring assistance.  Visit the helpful links listed below. 

Update May 12: California's Employment Development Department has launched a new Work Sharing Program as a temporary alternative to layoffs if a business's production or services have been reduced. Information on the program and access to the online application can be found at the link above.

Small Business Guide to the CARES Act:  

Yolo County "YoloWorks" Career Center: For direct assistance, contact Erica Johnson, HHSA Program Coordinator at 916.375.6273 or

California Employment Development Department:

Employee Paid Leave Rights: Families First Coronavirus Paid Leave Act

The Families First Coronavirus Paid Leave Act (FFCRA) requires certain employers to provide employees with paid sick leave or expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19.

Small business under 50 employees may qualify for exemption from the requirement to provide leave due to school closings or childcare unavailability if the leave requirements would jeopardize the viability of the business as a going concern.

Visit for definitions of covered employers and employees.

What if I am unable to pay my rent during the COVID-19 Health Order?

The City of West Sacramento has a temporary moratorium on evictions for non-payment of rent for both residential and commercial tenants affected by COVID-19, until May 31, 2020. Instructions and forms are available at:

Will my utilities be shut off if I can’t pay my bill?

The City has suspended late charges for bills due in March and April, until 30 days after City Hall resumes normal business hours. Customers may pay online at: PG&E has implemented a moratorium for disconnection due to non-payment for both residential and commercial customers.

Regional Sanitation is implementing rate adjustments for categories of commercial businesses that have been impacted by COVID-19 public health orders. Starting in May, commercial businesses will see adjustments or credits for regional sewer treatment charges on bills they receive from the City of West Sacramento. Questions may be directed to Utility Billing at 916.617.4589 or email

If your business has been impacted but no credit has been applied, please read the Regional San Rate Relief FAQ or visit for more information and to make a formal request.

Does the City have financial assistance programs for businesses?  

The City does not currently have direct financial assistance available for businesses. The City adopted an eviction moratorium and suspended late charges for utility bills and business license renewals. The City is monitoring federal and state legislation for COVID-19 business resources and conducting outreach to inform future decision-making on this topic.

I operate a food service facility--what practices should I follow to keep my patrons safe? 

The CA Dept. of Public Health offers guidance for Retail Food and Beverage service venues at  More resources are available from the National Restaurant Association:

What should I be doing to protect my employees from COVID-19?

Discontinuing non-essential operations. Work remotely wherever possible. Implement the social distancing required by the Yolo County Health Order. Review the most current information from the State of California: and the CDC guidance for Cleaning and Disinfecting Homes and Workplaces:

If my employer is not taking appropriate safety measures to protect me, who do I contact?

Residents and employees may report potential violations to West Sacramento Code Enforcement online or call 916. 617.4925. Code Enforcement will investigate your complaint and contact the business to inform and assist the business to comply.   

SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans and Loan Advance

The U. S. Small Business Administration is offering low-interest federal disaster loans for working capital to California small businesses suffering substantial economic injury as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Applicants may apply online, receive additional disaster assistance information and download applications at Applicants may also call SBA's Customer Service Center at (800) 877-8339. 

Small business owners (those with less than 500 employees) are eligible to apply for an Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) and request an advance of up to $10,000. The loan advance will provide economic relief to businesses that are currently experiencing a temporary loss of revenue. Funds will be made available within three days of a successful application, and this loan advance will not have to be repaid. The EIDL program can provide working capital loans of up to $2 million for economic support to small businesses to help overcome the temporary loss of revenue. To apply for a COVID-19 Economic Injury Disaster Loan, click here.