Transportation Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Transportation Permits (T-Permits) are required in West Sacramento for all Extralegal or Oversize loads. To be eligible for an oversize/overweight (or "extralegal") permit, the main criterion is that the load be non-reducible, meaning that it cannot be reduced down and transported in a legal vehicle. 

A T-permit is required any time a vehicle and/or vehicle load is larger than 8’6” width, 14’ height, 40’ length (single unit) or 65’ length (combo unit). T-Permits are issued on a single trip or annual basis, and are enforced by City police and the California Highway Patrol.

Transportation Permits are only issued upon payment of the permit application fee, and after the planned route and vehicle load have been examined for possible safety and traffic conflicts by the City's T-Permit Administrator.  

oversize load



Permit Fees                                                

Single Trip Permit  (5 Days)   $16  
Annual Permit  (Unlimited Trips)     $90 



Payment Options 

Payments may be submitted in the form of cash, check or credit card (in-person only).  Checks sent by US mail are preferred. When paying by check, Applicants MUST include the check number on each permit application.
Return and frequent applicants may establish a draw-down account at a minimum of $500.00 per deposit.  The City reserves the right to refuse approval of any new T-Permit application(s) if a permittee has failed to submit full payment for prior permits. 


Submitting a Transportation Permit Application

We've gone paperless! Please use the Single Permit and Annual Permit forms to submit your request by email. Simply fill out the PDF Application form and click "SUBMIT" once you've completed all required fields. T-Permit Applications, Status Checks, or other related questions may also be sent by e-mail to

Single Permits will be returned by e-mail to the sender of the application. An original copy of Annual Permits will still be sent to the permittee by US Mail, and a copy will be e-mailed to the Applicant confirming that the permit has been processed. 

An approved T-Permit, along with any required Conditions or Accompaniments MUST be carried by the permittee in the vehicle to which it refers at all times while the vehicle is being moved within the city limits and shall be open to inspection by any peace officer, traffic officer, or any officer or employee charged with the care and protection of such streets and highways (CVC 35783). Permits carried without the required conditions may be considered invalid. 

It is also understood and agreed by the permittee that all conditions have been read, and understood. The permittee agrees to comply with all conditions. Applicants are responsible for verifying the accuracy of ALL information on each Permit.


Permit Application Forms & Instructions 

For movement over state highways, permits must be obtained from the Caltrans Transportation Permit Branch. For additional information on STAA routes or other truck related issues, visit:

For urgent inquiries or permit status checks, please contact Sarah Strand, Senior Transportation Planner at (916) 617-5310 or at