Business License Process

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Business License Application serves as a clearinghouse for information that needs to be exchanged between the applicant and various city departments responsible for protecting the health, safety and welfare of the community. It alerts these departments that a new business may be in operation and it provides information to the applicant regarding how the business may be impacted by city codes.

The City Of West Sacramento is proud to present West Sacramento Citizen Access, a new system allowing e-filing of business license applications online, advanced search capabilities for existing licenses in our database, and to show the status of your application throughout the process. To submit a new application online, you will need to register for a Citizen Access account. Please visit for your application and searching needs.

Business License Application packets are available at the Community Development Department, located in City Hall, 2nd Floor, at 1110 West Capitol Avenue, West Sacramento; or you may call us at (916) 617-4645 and request that an application be faxed or mailed to you; or you may print the application from our website. This application may require several exhibits depending upon the nature of the business activity.

For home-based businesses within West Sacramento, there is a $54.00 processing and annual renewal fee. For all other businesses within West Sacramento, there is a $80.00 processing and annual renewal fee. For out-of-town vendors (non-local, home-based or commercial) doing business in West Sacramento, there is a $80.00 processing and annual renewal fee. After we receive the completed Business License Application and the appropriate processing fee, the Community Development Department will officially begin the application process. Note: To be considered complete, an application and all appropriate exhibits must be completed in their entirety.

Effective March 1, 2011, for every new business license application, a Yolo County Environmental Health Division Survey will be required to be completed by the applicant along with the City's application packet. If the answer to any of the survey questions is "Yes," the Community Development Department will collect the review fee of $184.00 (in addition to the City's Business License fee) on behalf of the County prior to the review and forward a set of the application and the fee to the Yolo County Environmental Health Division.

Please Note: Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

The process begins by the Community Development Department routing copies of the application to appropriate city departments and, sometimes, to other regulatory agencies. These include Fire, Building, Code Enforcement, and Yolo County Health Departments. A desk review by these departments may indicate (1) that no further information is necessary at this time; (2) that a physical inspection of the business premises is required; or (3) that possibly an applicant must obtain other permits, licenses or additional regulatory certificates.

Once the departments review and approve the application, the applicant will be issued a Business License. Any additional requirements or findings of violations will be communicated directly to the applicant by the department.

If required corrections of violations are not made within a reasonable amount of time, or if violations are deemed a serious threat to the health, safety or welfare of the community, the applicant will be notified to cease operation until these violations are corrected.

Special Caution: The issuance of a Business License is not necessarily the only permit, license, certificate and entitlement for use required by the city's ordinance and other laws. For example, you may be required to obtain a building permit, certificate of occupancy or use permit. You are responsible for ensuring that all necessary permits, licenses, certificates and entitlements are obtained and maintained.