Update from the City of West Sacramento on the Coronavirus
- For the latest on the City's response to the Coronavius, please visit our COVID-19 main page.
- City Hall is open! Read more about the safety precautions we're taking here.
- The Community Center and Recreation Center will be closed until further notice.
- The City’s core public services are still in operation, including police and fire services, operations and maintenance of critical infrastructure (sewer and water), garbage and recycling services, limited parks maintenance, and management of the City’s emergency operations center.
- Please note: many programs related to Environmental Services are currently on hold. This does not include your trash, recycling and organic service.
- During this time, Waste Management may be reached by calling 866-844-1508, visiting www.sacramentovalley.wm.com or by emailing email@example.com.
- Effective June 8th, Waste Management's door to door household hazardous waste (HHW) collection program will reopen. Appointments now accepted, visit www.wmatyourdoor.com or call 800-449-7587 to schedule an appointment.
- Waste Management will resume curbside bulky and extra waste collection programs beginning June 1st, 2020. Please call 866-844-1508 to schedule an appointment.
- The temporary personal trash can program will close on June 5th.
- Effective Saturday April 18th, the Yolo County Central Landfill will reopen to all customers. The Household Hazardous Waste Facility will also reopen. Before visiting the landfill, please read this press release for important details.
Waste Management, Inc. is the exclusive front load and cart trash service provider in West Sacramento. Property managers may contact Waste Management directly to set-up or make changes to trash service at (866) 844-1508 or wm.com.
City staff are equipped to help set up a recycling program customized to meet your needs. In addition to a no-added-cost front load or cart recycling service, we offer educational information on how to recycle, interior recycling collection containers, specialized locking front load bin lids and waste evaluations.
For additional information on West Sacramento's recycling services, please contact the City at (916) 617-4590 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
State Mandated Recycling Requirements
California State Assembly Bills 341 and 1826 establish waste generation thresholds for mandatory commercial recycling and mandatory organic recycling for California businesses.
Businesses generating 4 or more cubic yards of solid waste weekly are required to have a recycling program. To set up a State compliant recycling program, contact the City at (916) 617-4590 or email@example.com.
Businesses generating 4 or more cubic yards of solid waste weekly (trash plus recycling) are required to divert the organic portion of this waste from the landfill. To set up organic recycling services, contact an organics recycling service provider directly. These waste haulers are currently permitted to provide roll-off bin trash service in West Sacramento and may offer organic recycling services in cart, front load or roll-off bins. Organic recycling services are open market in West Sacramento. So, businesses may also subscribe to an organic recycling service that falls outside of the City’s exclusive contract and solid waste hauling permit programs. Example of organic recyclers falling into this category include landscape service providers that haul debris to a compost facility, food donation collection providers, and pallet recyclers that offer collection services. For assistance setting up your compliant organic recycling program or determining if you are required to recycle organics, please contact the City at (916) 617-4590 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Comply
Businesses may use a combination of services and practices to achieve compliance with the MORe Requirements, including:
- Reduce the amount of waste your business produces
- Sell or donate your edible food waste
- Recycle your organic waste onsite, i.e. grass cycle, chip and mulch
- Subscribe to a landscape service that hauls landscape waste to an organics recycling facility
- Self-haul to an organics processing facility
- Subscribe to an organic waste recycling service
For additional information on State recycling requirements for businesses please visit CalRecycle.gov
We want your input. Please take our MORe survey . Survey responses that include a business name, service address and contact information, may be used by the City to help determine MORe exemptions and compliance.
Small business or Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators can schedule a hazardous waste drop off appointment with the Yolo County Central Landfill by calling (800) 207-8222. For more information call (530) 666-8729 or visit www.yolocounty.org/landfill.
Roll-Off Bin Service Providers
Recycling Matters Commercial Recycling Newsletter
What Can Be Recycled in West Sac
Confused about what can be recycled? Check out our brochure! You can also call us at (916) 617-4590 or email at email@example.com. To see a list of other recycling and disposal options, visit our A-Z Page.