Update from the City of West Sacramento on the Coronavirus
- For the latest on the City's response to the Coronavius, please visit our COVID-19 main page.
- City Hall is open! Read more about the safety precautions we're taking here.
- The Community Center and Recreation Center will be closed until further notice.
- The City’s core public services are still in operation, including police and fire services, operations and maintenance of critical infrastructure (sewer and water), garbage and recycling services, limited parks maintenance, and management of the City’s emergency operations center.
- Please note: many programs related to Environmental Services are currently on hold. This does not include your trash, recycling and organic service.
- During this time, Waste Management may be reached by calling 866-844-1508, visiting www.sacramentovalley.wm.com or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Effective June 8th, Waste Management's door to door household hazardous waste (HHW) collection program will reopen. Appointments now accepted, visit www.myatyourdoor.com or call 800-449-7587 to schedule an appointment.
- Waste Management will resume curbside bulky and extra waste collection programs beginning June 1st, 2020. Please call 866-844-1508 to schedule an appointment.
- The temporary personal trash can program will close on June 5th.
- Effective Saturday April 18th, the Yolo County Central Landfill will reopen to all customers. The Household Hazardous Waste Facility will also reopen. Before visiting the landfill, please read this press release for important details.
Bulky Waste Pick Up Appointment Service
West Sacramento residents are eligible for two bulky waste pick up appointments per year, between July 1 and June 30, for items too large to fit in a curbside cart. For more information or to schedule a bulky waste pick up, call Waste Management toll free at (866) 844-1508. You can also visit Waste Management's West Sacramento page. If you have used your two bulky waste pick up appointments for the year and still have bulky items to dispose of, call Environmental Services at (916) 617-4590 and request a landfill voucher. Some restrictions apply.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Service
Residents are also eligible for two special collection appointments of Household Hazardous Waste per year, between July 1 and June 30. Call Waste Management toll free at (800)449-7587 to schedule an appointment or visit them online at www.wmatyourdoor.com.
Food Scrap Collection
Residents can now dispose of food scraps with yard waste in the Organics Cart (Brown Lid). To help you set aside food scraps for recycling, Waste Management is offering a free kitchen counter top food scrap pail. Call (866) 844-1508 to request your free pail today!
Fats, Oils and Grease
Fats, oils, and grease (FOG) are a natural by-product of cooking and preparing food. Sources of FOG include food scraps, meat fats, cooking oil, lard, baked goods, salad dressings, sauces, dairy products, shortening, butter and margarine. Proper disposal of FOG is important. Review this material for tips on saving our pipes and sewer lines!
Additional Residential Services
To learn about more services, read the Residential Services Program Brochure.
Residential curbside services also include trash, mixed recycling, organics and used motor oil and filter collection (see below). Trash, mixed recycling and organics are collected every week.
Click the collection schedule to find the service day for your street. Please note: Curbside service is unaffected by holidays, with the exceptions of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day. Residents will be notified in advance of any changes to their pickup schedule as a result of these holidays.
For missed service and other trash needs, call WM directly toll free at (866) 844-1508. City Utility Billing will take all billing related calls at (916) 617-4589.
Used Oil and Filter Collection
Waste Management will provide used oil containers and filter bags. Residents may recycle up to two (2) gallons of used oil each month using this service. Used oil must be poured into provided containers. Call (866) 844-1508 to request a container and filter bag.
Good Neighbor Program
Illegal dumping is an eyesore. Roadside furniture, appliances and tires, to name a few, do nothing to enhance a neighborhood. The County of Yolo has a program that can help. Residents may take illegally dumped items found along the roadside to the landfill - Free of Charge. In addition, the resident will be given a coupon good for disposal of their own waste. Just for being a Good Neighbor! The County implemented this program to reduce the amount of money the Roads Division spends cleaning up illegal dumping. Residents are requested not to pick up hazardous waste and will be asked to complete a form that includes describing the location where the material was collected.
If you would like more information about this program, contact the Yolo County Central Landfill at 530-666-8729 or visit their website.