UPDATE: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we regret to announce that we have made the difficult decision to postpone the 2020 Youth Fire Academy. We look forward to when we are able to continue our tradition of encouraging the future generations of firefighters to serve our West Sacramento community.
Our goal for the WSFD Youth Fire Academy is to recruit and educate a diverse group of local high school youth about the fire service as a career in a safe, supportive team environment.
We're looking for motivated individuals that work well with others, and who are fitness and team-oriented. Candidates must show honesty, integrity, and good character with an interest in serving the public.
WSFD Youth Fire Academy 19-1 Timeline:
- CalOpps application period open 4/08/19 through 4/30/19 at 5:00pm (application link will be posted on Facebook/Instagram @WestSacFire)
- Invite 40 candidates to interview May 6th and 7th, 2019
- 15-18 candidates will be selected as WSFD Youth Fire Academy Cadets
- Training will be held from 6/17/19 through 6/28/19. The first week will be classroom training, and the second week will be Tower Week
- With successful completion of training, cadets will be assigned to ride along with engine or truck companies over the following month.
Training will consist of an introduction to all aspects of the fire service, with part of the focus placed on preparing the cadets for a mock hiring process consisting of the written, CPAT, and oral interview. Cadets will then go through a week-long tower training where firefighting skills will be taught and practiced.
The Academy will culminate in the cadets being assigned to a WSFD apparatus, where they will work shifts to fulfill their high school required volunteer hours while riding along with the fire department on emergency calls as well as experiencing station life.
- For more information, email Jen Almaguer at email@example.com.