Weed Abatement

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Weed AbatementEvery spring, the Fire Marshal identifies properties where overgrown weeds present a potential fire hazard, notifies property owners, and oversees the removal of such hazards by either the property owners or a public contractor. Property owners will be charged for any work done by the contractor.

The City also uses goats for weed abatement in hard to reach locations such as the Barge Canal and along the Sacramento River. Check out the #westsacgoats in action:

If you are concerned about a weed problem in West Sacramento, please contact the Fire Administration Office at (916) 617-4600. After the spring Weed Abatement Program is completed, you should address any grievances to the Code Enforcement Division of the Police Department.

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I have to comply with the weed abatement rules?

If you own property that contains weeds (dry grass, stubble, brush, litter, or other flammable material) which endangers the public safety by creating a fire hazard, you must abate them.

What if the weeds are on residential property?

If the weeds are on residential property, please contact the Fire Administration Office at (916) 617-4600, as this may be a Code Enforcement issue.

How do I abate my weeds?

In order to meet the abatement requirement, it may be necessary to disc, mow or possibly hand clean your property.

Properties that are less than 1 acre in size shall be abated entirely.  Properties greater than 1 acre shall be abated by creating a 30 foot firebreak around the property, buildings, wooden fences, and roads, as well as providing two intersecting 30 foot firebreaks through the property (creating four equal quadrants).

What if I have agricultural land?

Agricultural land abatement is mitigated differently than non-agricultural property.  Agricultural land utilized for raising crops shall be abated by creating a 30 foot firebreak that abuts buildings, wooden fences, roads and adjacent property. If crops are planted over adjacent property lines, call for a determination of the requirement. The Fire Marshal will make the final determination on the abatement of the property. After the harvest, all stubble or residual growth must be abated as soon as possible.