The City of West Sacramento is committed to environmental conservation through compliance with State law and the diversion of solid waste from landfills. In keeping with this commitment, the City Council adopted Municipal Code, Chapters 8.08.070 and 15.12.040, requiring that a minimum of 65% of Construction and Demolition (C&D) debris generated on covered projects be diverted from landfills.
This requirement applies to all C&D projects started after January 1, 2017 and that meet at least one of the following criteria:
- New construction, regardless of size or type
- Demolition of a building or structure
- All residential additions and alterations that increase a building's conditional area
- All Non-residential additions and alterations
Process for Applicants
Below is a description of the process for projects that meet the criteria above.
- Read this Instruction Sheet
- Submit Part 1 of the C&D Debris Recycling Plan when applying for a building permit
- Perform work and divert a minimum of 65% of C&D debris from landfills
- Submit Part 2 of the C&D Debris Recycling Plan, along with all recycling and disposal documentation from each disposal facility
- (For projects approved pre-2017, use this version of Part 2)
If a subcontractor or subcontractors will be working on the project site, please complete and submit an Acknowledgment Form with all other necessary documentation at the end of the project.
The City of West Sacramento requests your cooperative compliance with all municipal codes and policies. Non-compliance may result in penalties. If you have any questions or need clarification, please contact the City of West Sacramento Environmental Services Division at (916) 617-4590.
The City requires a permit to haul C&D debris from covered project sites unless certain criteria are met. Please see Section 8.08.060 of Municipal Code to learn if your project meets the conditions for self hauling. See a list of businesses currently permitted to haul C & D debris in West Sacramento. If your preferred debris hauler is not on this list, please ask that they contact the City at (916) 617-4590 to obtain the necessary hauling permit.