Commercial businesses can prevent stormwater pollution through good housekeeping as well as industry-specific pollution prevention. Some industries require stormwater permits from the Waterboards. Please see our IGP page for more information.
All businesses should be mindful of impacting stormwater quality. Examples include:
• Managing trash and recycling to prevent litter.
• Managing landscape watering to prevent run-off.
• Integrating safer practices for pest management and landscape maintenance (see our IPM page).
• Washing company vehicles and equipment in wash racks or at commercial wash facilities.
• Having spill kits and spill response trainings so that staff are prepared before spills happen.
For help with stormwater pollution prevention at your business, please contact the Environmental Services Division at (916) 617-4590.
Some business operations also can threaten stormwater – see below for industry-specific guidelines and requirements:
- A Mobile Carwash
- A Restaurant
- A Small Project Contractor
- A Pool Draining Service
- A Pool Maintenance Service
- Power Washing
- Construction Projects
Fats, Oil and Grease
Find more information on the proper management of Fats, Oil, and Grease.