Fire Hydrant Meter Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
*** During this time we are asking any parties interested in renting a hydrant meter to call (916) 617-4850 BEFORE you come in.  This way paperwork can be complete and waiting upon your arrival to minimize contact time and maximize safety.  Also, please note that a face covering is mandatory when entering a city facility.  If you don't have one business will be conducted through the door as a safety precaution.  We appreciate your understanding during this difficult time.  ***


     The purpose of the Fire Hydrant Meter Permit Program is to help the City track the amount of water used during construction. Prior to construction, contractors must obtain a hydrant meter permit. All fees and deposits under the fire hydrant permit shall be paid prior to permit issuance.

     To make this process as easy and quick as possible we ask that you fill out a Fire Hydrant Meter Application.  Once filled out this form can be emailed to, faxed to (916) 371-1516, or brought in or mailed to 1951 South River Rd. 

The following are some frequently asked questions:

Where do I apply for a Fire Hydrant Meter Permit?

We are located at 1951 South River Road. Our hours are 8:00am to 4:30pm.

Is there anything else needed besides a hydrant meter for construction purposes?

Yes, a backflow device is always needed whenever water is being used/metered from a fire hydrant. You can use your own backflow device, rent the city’s, or use a City of West Sacramento permitted water truck.

If my truck has a 2-inch air gap, do I still need a backflow device?

No, but you will need an Air Gap permit.  You can obtain an Air Gap permit along with your Hydrant Meter application for $50.   

How can I pay my deposit?

Your deposit can be paid by check or cash at 1951 South River Road.  If you wish to pay using a credit card* or debit card, you can do so at City Hall once you obtain a quote or completed Fire Hydrant Meter Permit.  Remember, all payments are due prior to picking up the meter.

Will I be required to pay a deposit if I’m working on a City project?

Yes. However, you will only be required to pay a refundable deposit. All rental and water use fees will be charged to the project, as long as you can provide a valid work order number which is issued by the engineering division.


Please contact us at (916) 617-4850 or turn in a Fire Hydrant Meter Application to get a quote.


*All credit card payments are subject to a 3% credit card fee effective July 1, 2018