The Housing Element is one of the seven mandated elements of the West Sacramento General Plan. It sets forth the City's strategy to preserve and enhance the community's residential character, expand housing opportunities for all economic segments, and provide guidance and direction for local government decision-making in all matters related to housing.
The City of West Sacramento, along with all other California cities and counties, is required to adequately plan to meet the housing needs of everyone in our community. The Sacramento region is currently in the process of transitioning from the 5th Cycle planning period, to the 6th cycle planning period, which will cover an eight year span from 2021-2029. The City is currently updating the Housing Element for this next eight-year span.
The foundation of the Housing Element is the Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA), in which the State estimates each region's housing needs for all income groups for the upcoming eight years. The City of West Sacramento's RHNA target for the 2021-2029 planning period is 9,471 new residential units.
More information on required content for Housing Elements can be found in the Building Blocks guide published from the California Department of Housing and Community Development.
- May 13, 2020
- The City of West Sacramento has kicked off the Housing Element Update. We encourage all West Sacramento residents to help us plan the City's future housing needs and priorities.
- July 7, 2020
- Please check back in to this webpage for information on how to participate in the Housing Element Update. Sign up for eNotifications below to receive project updates.
- July 30, 2020
- Stakeholder Meeting
Representatives from local and regional Housing nonprofits participated in a stakeholder webinar to discuss topics related to priorities for the Housing Element Update. The main discussion points are provided in the PDF below. If you have comments relating to these discussion points and priorities, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Housing Element Update:
- Will cover the 2021-2029 planning period
- Provides an assessment of current and future housing needs, and the resources and constraints related to those needs.
- Provides a comprehensive strategy that establishes the basis for housing goals, policies, and programs.
- Draft will be made available at City Hall, and will posted on the City's website and in other public locations once complete.
Questions or Comments?
Email us at email@example.com.
Get Involved! Sign up for eNotifications
Add your email and contact info to receive email updates on the Housing Element Update project status and public participation events, or change your eNotification preferences to add Housing to your list of subscribed topics.